How can adults impart wisdom onto children if the adults themselves are not wise?
What I have learned since my first child was born is that not only am I responsible for my little boy, but at the same time, I also have to be responsible for myself.
Why? Because children are an impressionable lot, so I must be careful not to set a bad example. If I am somehow found wanting to the point of irresponsibility, then I can have no complaints if my boy becomes just that by the time he reaches adulthood.
So I say, before having any kids of your own you must first address yourself in terms of attaining wisdom and a sense of responsiblity from within.
The point which you so eloquently stated is a point which has been lost on far too many parents. I agree 100% that when one raises a child, both the child and the parent should experience growth (one physical growth, the other personal growth).
I always enjoy your insightful comments, my friend. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
Good points, Socrates!
ReplyDeleteHow can adults impart wisdom onto children if the adults themselves are not wise?
What I have learned since my first child was born is that not only am I responsible for my little boy, but at the same time, I also have to be responsible for myself.
Why? Because children are an impressionable lot, so I must be careful not to set a bad example. If I am somehow found wanting to the point of irresponsibility, then I can have no complaints if my boy becomes just that by the time he reaches adulthood.
So I say, before having any kids of your own you must first address yourself in terms of attaining wisdom and a sense of responsiblity from within.
Jason,
ReplyDeleteThe point which you so eloquently stated is a point which has been lost on far too many parents. I agree 100% that when one raises a child, both the child and the parent should experience growth (one physical growth, the other personal growth).
I always enjoy your insightful comments, my friend. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.